The Transformative Studies Institute was created to provide an inclusive educational space for research and practice for social justice by academics, community organizers, activists, and political leaders.
‘No one is free unless we are all free’
We do not believe in: the privatization of societal resources or socially important goods and services e.g. education, health care, utilities, transportation, public infrastructure, military, housing, social services.
We do believe in:
- Direct political and economic democracy
- Prohibition of corporate involvement in any political process
- News media as an independent public utility
- Free and equal public education at all levels and the nationalization of private educational institutions
- Equal treatment of all individuals and groups
- The right to make one’s own reproductive decisions
- Guaranteed housing
- Universal single payer healthcare
- Guaranteed family income
- Sustainable development and renewable resources
- Direct action for social justice
To achieve these goals we must make people aware of social facts. This requires a process of critical education to empower people with skills to question assumptions, beliefs, and values, as well as consider multiple viewpoints to foster social justice.
The Transformative Studies Institute (TSI) is a fully-volunteer social justice think tank managed and operated by a global team of scholar-activists, grassroots activists, and the concerned public. TSI publishes independent peer-reviewed journals including Theory in Action, operates a speakers’ bureau, fellowship program, and various community outreach projects, and provides consulting services and custom policy papers.
To establish a tuition-free accredited graduate school to foster interdisciplinary research that will bridge theory with activism and encourage community involvement to alleviate social problems.